* I have discovered that keeping the thermostat at 50 makes my sinus cavities ache, but 53 is fine, as long as I use a cat as a balaclava.
* I purchased a small "eco-heater" from Tar-zhay on clearance for $25, and thanks to knarf's calculations in the comments section a couple of posts back I've figured out that it'll cost 16 cents per hour of use. It is small and is sort of like warming oneself with a hairdryer. The Hoon and Jacinta and I warm ourselves one paw at a time, and take turns snuggling the rest of us all up against one another.
* I've dug out all of my funky old winter stuff. The ski pants. The ancient thermal underwear. Every night I present a fashion show. I am both model and paparazzi. This season, layers are the new black.
* I sealed the windows up with the plastic and tape only to wake up the next morning realizing that not only did they shut out the chill wind, but also the light. The kitties banged soft paws against the plastic and mewed plaintively. I couldn't tell if it were snowing or cloudy or sunny outside. When I bought the heater I bought more plastic, the kind you can see through. Plastic window sealant kit: $7.50. Sunlight: priceless.
* School is good. Really good. I'm organized and focused and interested. I'm getting all the reading done, planning ahead for upcoming projects. Plus I'm off coffee which makes it all a little miraculous.
* A big part of my positivity these days is simply time, and the willingness to stay in forward motion until enough of it passes. It takes time for things to heal, like a heart, like a life. We just have to be willing to hang in there until Life works her mojo.
* And let me not forget to give thanks where big thanks is due: Sam-e, the wonder amino acid. I doubled my dose a week ago and it's like emotional magic. A lot of you are dealing with depression out there. Allow me to share the wealth. . . Sam-e helps with the brain chemistry end of it while you deal with the living portion of the program. 200 mg. taken with a B Complex on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Another dose, 200mg, a couple of hours after lunch. Start with 200mg, then work your way up to 300-400mg. If your stomach gets upset, back down on the dose a little and work your way up more slowly. Results are seen within a few days of beginning. Researchers aren't quite sure how/what mechanisms sam-e works on with serotonin, either by inhibiting reuptake or creating more of it or some combo of actions. You can find some compelling evidence Here. The sample size is small, but the info is worth taking a look at . . . (if you are taking a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) or an MAO inhibitor, check with your doctor, of course, so you don't short cicuit any wiring from overload . . . )
* Party on, party peoples, party on . . . be good to yourselves . . .