Five tips for newbie bloggers or for bloggers who just like Big Tips.
1) write about things that you feel passionately about. it can be gentle passion or quiet passion or silly passion or even bitter angry weaselly passion. but just write from your heart, not from that critic in your head that wants to fence you in like a white trash dog on a two foot chain. it's your blog. set yourself free. party on. do. your. thing.
2) if you do the above, your peoples will find you.
3) to help your peoples find you, go blog surfing. be a blog slut and find a blog heart hottie and then slide your way all over their link list. find another blog hottie and repeat. make sure to leave comments everywhere you go, even if it's just, "hi, i found you via so-and-so's blog and that is some masthead you're sporting." don't be (too) upset if they don't respond. many bloggers don't 'write back' (especially bloggers with big followings) or only leave their comments within the comments section so you have to go back and look at the comments again to see if they've responded. but the point is: you are commenting for many reasons, one of them being so that your own blog address gets out there and folks can follow your link back to you and leave comments on your blog and lose sleep over whether or not you'll say hi back :)
4) never ever blog negatively about your work. unless you don't mind getting fired. really. this is a murky, murky area right now in the commercial world and so Just Say No to posting about your boss and referring to him as Mr. Stinky.
5) pictures are nice. post some nice pictures for your peoples. pictures of your life or the things you love or the things you eat or anything you freakin feel like imaging and allowing others to view upon.
. . . enjoy :)